Thursday, August 9, 2007

What Does This Mean?


Gregory and I seemed to be having a hard time bonding the first weeks after his birth. He was colicy and gassy. He just seemed very uncomfortable. I didn't think anything of it at first because my daughters we also fussy babies. Then one day I cuddled up on the sofa with him while I was nursing him and studying his sweet little face. Then I tried to get him to make eye contact and he just kept avoiding me. So when I was done nursing him I put him infront of me and tried again. Again he avoided my gaze and began to spit up. I thought wow that really bothers him. He doesn't want to look at my face. Then I began noticing how he arched away from me and wouldn't cuddle into my chest. I remember the feeling of PANIC when I remember a friend describing her autistic nephew. She told me he didn't make eye contact. So what does this mean for my 6 week old baby boy??? Could this be autism? Of course I took him to his pediatrician and he laughed at me for thinking such a thing. He said autism isn't diagnosed until 3. So I took him to a neurologist and she didn't know what to say because Gregory was so young. Then we went to a developmental pediatrician. At that point Gregory was 4 months old and the DP said he saw what I saw. He told us he didn't know what it meant for his future but we should start therapy. He gave us the name of a Floortime therapist and told us to call our ealy intervention and sent us on our way. What does this mean? How can I go home and sleep at night? How can I function tomorrow and the day after? How can this be happening to my perfect family?????

No comments: