After the kids are tucked into their beds I usually spend my nights reading other parents of special needs kids blog posts. It is an addiction of mine now. I just can't stay away. Then I decided to go back and read my old posts. It made me really sad. I felt sad that I was so scared for my little man. You know he still has issues we are working through but I Love Him and guess what HE LOVES ME!!! AND he loves his Daddy and his sisters and his Mimi and his PopPop and his YiaYia and his Papou! It probably sounds kinda crazy to write it out like that but back in those early days I wasn't sure if it was gonna happen. Well it is true...he even said it himself. My husband likes to joke with him and ask him who he loves more Mommy or Daddy:) Well his new answer is I Love you both:) What a sweetie! This kid is so sensitive. Well, literally he is sensitive because he is tactile defensive but he is also sensitive in another way. He seems to be sensitive to other peoples feelings. A lot of things take him to a different place. A place where he has a harder time just being and integrating all that is going on around him. But when he can, he amazes me. There are so many times I look at him and I feel so bad because he just looks like he is trying to figure out his body. I can tell things don't feel right to him. But, I'll tell ya when he feels good he can come up with some pretty amazing stuff. It has been a long road with Gregory but I think I have him figured out pretty good these days. I rarely get down and depressed about the situation anymore and the reason is because I have so many tools to help him. RDI and our wonderful consultant, Jennifer being the 1st. My next move is to really get down to this sensory system of his. It is so obvious that it needs a lot of work. I am hoping to try a new approach soon so I'll let you know about that.
When Gregory was an infant I couldn't imagine his future as a bright one but today I imagine so many things for him. Things may not always be perfectly smooth for him and I am sure there will be many times he will struggle but I am starting to feel more confident that I can be a good guide for him, always...That is what I work and pray for. I want to be a good guide for all of my children. It takes practice and LOTS AND LOTS of patience. I know I don't always do it right but I will keep trying and praying and hopefully someday I can be proud of the job I did at the most difficult job (in my opinion) in the world...being a mother. Don't get me wrong I LOVE this opportunity that I have been given and these sweet babies but it is difficult, especially with special needs in the picture, but I would not change anything for the world.
Tonight we were getting ready for bed and Nick came in the door. Gregory said, "Is that you Daddy" while smiling from ear to ear. He peaked around the corner and started squealing with so much excitement. That little boy adores his dad!!!:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you so much for your sweet words Sara.This IS absolutely the hardest job out there,truly. The responsibility is enormous and the second guessing is constant. At the end of the day though,we have to let go of whatever that day held and know,by the grace of God another day is before us,a chance to start over,redo ,change it up,forgive ourselves,move on and know,loving them is the most important thing.I don't know how long you have been coming over to me so forgive me if you already know this but Joe,our almost five year old has ADHD,tactile issues,sensory integration issues,yes he's quite the mixed bag.There is a book out there,been around forever but it is the "bible"on these issues. It's called Sensory Integration and the child byA.JeanAyres,phd. Maybe you already have it but it is a must have. Not exactly a light,wind yourself down read like my People magazine but...Anyway sorry to have monopolized the comment section. Take care.Your family is beautiful also.
Post a Comment