Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sensory

The more I get to know Gregory and study his development the more I see that the subtlety of his sensory issues really makes a difference for him. When we first started this journey with him we went to see the well known Dr. Greenspan and I read his books and I believe his thoughts on autism are that it is sensory related meaning that the childs body doesn't feel good. The senses aren't integrating properly. I read these things and I saw Gregorys issues with tactile defensiveness and a visual sensitivity but I still just thought that Gregory just didn't like people. Well 2 years later I see so much more clearly that in fact that is not the case. Gregory loves people but I think relating to them with how his body felt made it very difficult. These 2 systems (vision and tactile) he still struggles with but they are getting better. Everyday I see him inching out of this shell. It is really amazing watching him change. I want to get more aggressive with activities to help these two sensory systems. I think once we get them working smoothly he will really let his cute little self shine!
I think what I'll do is post a cute saying of the day from Mr. Gregory. He says so many things these days that amaze me and make me smile.
I have to tell you the cute one he said on Sunday. My mom was taking the kids to church and we were deciding what shirt he should wear. Gregory said he wanted to wear his crocodile shirt. So we put it on. He then said, " I am going to tell all of the ladies at church to STAY BACK because the crocodile might bite you. He won't bite me though because he is my friend" Isn't that so funny! Being a tactile defensive kid maybe he was thinking about that, maybe that was his excuse for all the ladies to "not touch" :)
Last night we were getting ready to go upstairs for bed and he picked up a stapler my hubby left on the kitchen table. I said no no to him. He said "Is this dangerous, mommy?" I said yes. He said "Can mommy and daddy use it?" I said yes. Gregory said "Can you teach me?" :)

No comments: